Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Monday, January 9, 2017

The 1 Skill Warren Buffett Says Will Raise Your Value by 50 Percent

By Carmine Gallo, Inc. Jan. 5, 2017

Imagine working on one skill in 2017 that–once you improve on it–will raise your value by 50 percent. The one skill is public speaking.

The dividends on the investment you make in sharpening your communication skills will pay off for the rest of your career. Don’t take my word for it. Listen to billionaire Warren Buffett’s advice to a class of business students at Columbia University back in 2009:

Image result for warren buffett“Right now I would pay $100,000 for ten percent of the future earnings of any of you, so if you’re interested, see me after class.”

After the laughter subsided, he turned serious.

“Now, you can improve your value by 50 percent just by learning communication skills–public speaking. If that’s the case, see me after class and I’ll pay you $150,000.”

Buffett’s point is that mastering the art of public speaking is the single greatest skill to boost your career.

You might be saying, That’s great, but I have a fear of public speaking. It’s okay. Buffett was actually terrified, too.

Image result for Dale Carnegie public-speaking courseAs a young stock advisor he took a Dale Carnegie public-speaking course to overcome his fear. In a little known fact, Buffett dropped out of the course on his first try because he was afraid he’d be asked to speak up. He worked up his courage a second time and today proudly displays his Dale Carnegie certificate in his office.

Image result for TED curator Chris AndersonAccording to TED curator Chris Anderson, public speaking matters more than ever. In his book, TED Talks, Anderson writes: “As a leader–or as an advocate–public speaking is the key to unlocking empathy, stirring excitement, sharing knowledge and insights, and promoting a shared dream.”

Anderson calls the ability to captivate an audience “presentation literacy,” a new superpower to pitch your ideas, sell products and accomplish your dreams.

As an entrepreneur or small business owner, you are only as valuable as your ideas. If you cannot persuade others to buy-in to your ideas, then they don’t matter very much.

Your ideas deserve to be heard. Make a commitment this year to sharpen the one skill that can change your life, the direction of your business, and raise your value by 50 percent almost immediately.

1 Comments:

Dennis Edward said...

When at College the only course that I got a below average grade during one term was the compulsory Public Speaking course. I knew at that time I should take another term in public speaking because I had a real fear of speaking in front of others. But I didn't do it, even though my motto was to face my fears. Why? Because I knew it would bring down my point grade average. I graduated on the Dean's list with a straight "B" average, but I graduated deficient in the area of public speaking. It is something that I have had to learn slowly and persistently throughout life and am still learning. I wish I had had more guts to take that second term course and join the debating team, as my conscience was telling me. So my advice to you young people is face your fear of public speaking. Just do it, no matter what. You'll be glad you learned how and will increase your leadership abilities. We are all in the business of influencing others for good or for evil. Learn how to public speak to be a greater influence for good wherever you may be.

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith