Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Robert Jastrow author of God and the Astronomers















"Now we see how the astronomical evidence leads to a Biblical view of the origin of the world... The chain of events leading to man commence suddenly and sharply at a definite moment in time, in a flash of light and energy." (pg.14) "It turns out that the scientist behaves the way the rest of us do when our beliefs are in conflict with the evidence. We become irritated, we pretend the conflict doesn't exist, or we paper it over with meaningless phrases." (pg. 16) God and the Astronomers

Dennis Edwards

Robert Jastrow (1925-2008) was a disciple of Edwin Hubble the famous American astronomer whose interpretation of the red shift in light from distant galaxies gave rise to the Big Bang Theory. After Hubble died, Jastrow continued with much of his work. A few years ago he wrote a book God and the Astronomers. In an interview about his faith, or lack of it, he makes an interesting observation. He starts by talking about the implications of the Hubble’s red-shift. Read for yourself from his own words:

If you reverse the motion, the outward motions of the stars and galaxies and go backwards in time, they come closer and closer together. Finally they reach a point where they are nearly infinite in density and temperature and further than that you cannot go. So, there’s a beginning, a point in time from which it all started. That’s a remarkable thing. It has a strong theological flavor to it, which intrigued me, because I am an agnostic. But if there was a beginning, a moment of creation of the universe, then there was a creator. But a creator is not compatible with agnosticism. I found that point so interesting, that I felt a strong compulsion to share it with others.

That’s why I wrote the book. Just like I can’t believe there was a creator, I can’t believe that this all happened by chance, which implies, there was a creator. So you see, I am in a completely hopeless bind and I have stayed there. Again, I find it hard to believe that this is all a matter of atoms and molecules. So, I try to fit into my concept of the world the conclusion that there is a larger force of some kind which we can call God, or whatever. But I can’t accept that, because I’m a materialist in philosophy. I believe the world consists entirely of material substances (and no supernatural causes). When you specify those substances and the laws of how they interact, you have done it all. Nothing more needs to be said.

That’s what science tells me. I have been a scientist all my life. But I find it unsatisfactory, in fact, it makes me uneasy. I feel I am missing something. But I will not find out what I am missing within my lifetime.[1]

What an honest, yet sad confession. Here he is facing his last years of life and Jastrow sees, he senses that his materialistic worldview has fallen short. He’s apprehensive. He’s unsatisfied and wondering if he’s gotten it wrong. He senses that there has to be more, but his intellectual pride, his lifetime of upholding to a materialistic belief system forces him to deny the apparent truth of a Creator. Sadly he confesses he will go to his grave in pride before he finds the answer.

And what about you, will you have the same fate? Some miss the door of salvation by so little, the distance of their heart to their head. Their pride and intellectual beliefs cause them to reject the simplicity of the gospel. Like Peter so aptly put: While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.[2]Jastrow’s materialistic philosophy promised him freedom from Christianity “archaic” beliefs. But now, at the end of his life, when he senses he could very well be wrong about the whole thing, he’s imprisoned by the philosophy that had promised him liberty. He cannot escape its materialistic grasp as much as he would like. What a sad ending. And you, will you call upon Jesus? He promises a way of escape. You don’t need to go to your grave wondering what is true. Seek Jesus with all your heart, mind and soul today and He will answer. “And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”[3]

Footnotes: 

[1] The Privileged Planet, http:http://www.theprivilegedplanet.com/scientists.php//
[2] 2Peter 2:19
[3] John 8:32

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith