Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Monday, April 28, 2014

A Word Fitly: Spoken Honoring the Elderly

“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver” (Proverbs 25:11 KJV).

In our often very busy lives, as much as we care about our aging parents or grandparents to whom we want to offer encouragement, love, and support, we may not be able to be physically present with them. To help them know that we do love and care about them, it may be important to find simple ways to frequently communicate ours and the Lord’s love and appreciation for them.

As my mother became very elderly, her hearing deteriorated. Since our primary communications up to that time had been via phone calls, this presented quite a challenge. Her inability to hear me well became a source of frustration for her, and for me as well.

Next I tried writing her long letters every once in a while, but while she would read them, they weren’t frequent enough for her to remember, due to her failing memory. Consequently, she often forgot that I wrote at all.

I thought and prayed about this for some time, seeking the Lord for a solution. I finally got the idea of sending her a short note each week of just a sentence or two. Even if she couldn’t remember what I’d said, she at least would hopefully remember that I had written her.

I decided to write a number of these notes in advance and have them ready to be given to her on my behalf each week by one of those caring for her.

They were a hit! They provided a way for her to hear from me frequently. By expressing my love to her on a regular basis through these notes, she knew she wasn’t forgotten. Because they were very short, she could easily read them over and over, and sometimes she could even remember what they said.

She kept them in a little box by her armchair and would refer to them frequently. She would also talk about them to those who came into her apartment. When my aunt came to visit, she handed her the entire boxful and eagerly asked her to read them.

Something everyone was amazed about is that my mother started to know what day of the week it was. Previously, because of her relatively immobile and routine life, she had had difficulty distinguishing one day from another. Now, because she was anticipating her note from me on a certain day every week, she became much more aware of what day it was.

Somehow she always knew when Wednesday came around. If she hadn’t gotten her note yet, she would ask for it. I chose Wednesdays for the notes to be delivered to her because it was something special, midweek, that she could look forward to. (She also looked forward to church services on Sundays.)

My mother received one of my love notes regularly every week for well over a year before she died.

Since I couldn’t be there in person to show her my love, these notes helped her to know that I really did love her and care about her. They were effective because she received them so frequently and regularly, via her breakfast tray each week.

Receiving these notes also helped her to know that she was still needed—that I still valued and needed her love and prayers. When someone is in their nineties and pretty much housebound, no longer actively involved in the world around them, they can feel isolated. It’s often a very lonely life. It’s important for them to know that their love and prayers and encouragement still matter and make a difference in the lives of their loved ones.

Another thing I was able to do for my mother through these notes was to acknowledge to her on a regular basis, little by little, my appreciation for the legacy of faith and love that she’d passed on to me and that had touched so many other lives as well. It was something in print and preserved so that she could read it over and over. While I was sending these notes, I didn’t realize that what I had been writing was essentially a “living eulogy.” After my mother’s death, one of my first prayers to Jesus was in gratitude for helping me to let my mother know how much her life had meant to me and so many others, before she left this life.

I’m so thankful that I took the time and effort to express my appreciation for my mother. By honoring the beauty of her life and the good that she had done, I was validating her life and ministry and making her feel that her many years had been worthwhile. What better way to honor a person than to do it while they’re still living!

I thought you might find these little messages useful as examples of ways to encourage a relative or other person who you are praying for and to show them you care. This might be a way you can help them to feel the Lord’s love through you on a regular basis, whether they have received the Lord already or you are trying to bring them closer to knowing Him. I hope that these notes will inspire ideas for writing your own.


1. Dear Mother, Just a little love note to tell you I’m thinking of you and the rich heritage I have because of you. You took me under your wing. You gave me love and hope. You calmed my fears. You imparted faith. What wonderful, precious gifts from your heart to mine. What more could I have asked for or wanted? Thank you for these gifts and so much more.


2. Dear Mother, I think of you and how special you are. God gave you a heart like no other. I’m so thankful you shared it with me, and so many others.


3. Dear Mother, I have a wonderful gift for you that I can give you lots of!—and that’s my gratitude. Please know how much I appreciate and love you.


4. Dear Mother, For all the ways you’ve helped me to grow in faith, I want to say a big thank you. During your long, rich life you’ve done a great work for God! The things that you think were so small are actually great to Him! You’ll see, when you meet up with Daddy again, just how great they were!


5. Dear Mother, I know that when you get to heaven you are going to see the amazing results of your prayers! Maybe you only see a few results today, but in heaven everything is going to be made clear and you are going to be overwhelmed at what little ol’ you did through your prayer ministry! You’re going to see the difference that it made in so many people’s lives. You’re going to see how your prayers influenced my decisions in my life. You were always there for me in prayer, and I hope you know that I am always here for you in prayer, too.


6. Dear Mother, I love you so much simply because you’re you. I love your gentleness, your caring, your graciousness and sense of humor. I love your kindness, your cheerfulness, your generosity, your concern for others. I love your love for Jesus, your faith in His Word, and your belief in prayer. You’re tops in my book, Mother. I love you so much simply because you’re you.


7. Dear Mother, They say that life begins with seeing and loving your mother’s face—and I’ve never stopped. You are, and always have been, one of my biggest inspirations in life. Please know that you are very, very loved!—by me, and by all those who have been privileged to experience your beautiful heart, your faith, and your love for Jesus.


8. Dear Mother, There is no substitute for YOU. How could there ever be? You’re the one God made to care for and teach me so much about life and faith. I’m so happy you’re part of my life.


9. Dear Mother, I’ve loved you longer than I’ve loved anyone on earth, other than Daddy. And it’s been easy, because you’re lovable just the way you are.


10. Dear Mother, Your smile, your voice, your prayers are a wonderful gift that you can give to others. Thank you for giving those to me as well. They’re the best medicine in the world!


11. Dear Mother, I credit Jesus with everything good that I am, but since your life was motivated out of love for Him, a lot of credit goes to you and Daddy, too, for allowing yourselves to be His agents to influence my life in His direction.


12. Dear Mother, Sometimes you’re so hard on yourself for not being perfect. Who is?—Only Jesus! It’s so nice that we’re all in the same boat with all our faults and failings and mistakes. But, as for you, Mother, even though I know you must have them, since you’re just human, I can’t think of any. I can’t remember any. All I remember is that you’re so deep and steady.


13. Dear Mother, Your love is like a beacon in my life. I hope I can return even a small portion of that light back to you, and to many others as well.


14. Dear Mother, I love your patience, your calm, your trust. You’ve advanced in years very graciously. I hope that when I’m your age I can be like you. Maybe it will “rub off” on me.


15. Dear Mother, When I was a little child I often held your hand, but as a grown woman I hold you always in my heart.


16. Dear Mother, From the time I first opened my eyes and saw you, I loved you. Even though I can’t remember that moment, I know it’s true because I still do.


17. Dear Mother, So often you were my angel in disguise, always there to guide me, giving me peace of mind. I still feel you near to me no matter what the physical distance.


18. Dear Mother, I learned such godly values from you and Daddy. I received such wonderful care that has enriched my life more than I can ever repay.


19. Dear Mother, I appreciate you even more as I grow older, realizing how special our relationship is and what an amazing woman you are!


20. Dear Mother, Your heart was my classroom, and I think I had the best education ever.


21. Dear Mother, You’re just one mother in a world of many, but you mean the world to me.


22. Dear Mother, Someone said, “Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone,” so I want to be sure I voice my gratitude to you for all that you have given and the beautiful life you have lived. I hope I can help you understand how precious that is to me and to others, and that, secure in this knowledge, you will know that your life truly has been worthwhile.


23. Dear Mother, Albert Schweitzer said, “At times our own light goes out and as we are rekindled by a spark from another person, each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lit the flame within us.” Mother, you are one who has helped to do that for me.


24. Dear Mother, Someone said, “People who make us happy are like the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” Mother, you’ve made my whole life blossom in many ways and I’m very grateful to you.


25. Dear Mother, You’ve made a great difference in my life and the direction I took. You helped guide me during those very formative years, and for that I will be eternally thankful.


26. Dear Mother, Somebody said, “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” I want to be sure you get my present, Mother, so here I am to tell you how much gratitude I feel for you for all that you’ve been and for all that you’ve given me throughout my life, and for how you still give your love and your prayers daily.


27. Dear Mother, Isn’t it wonderful that we have a God who is concerned about everything that we’re concerned about—every detail! We can commit them all to Him in prayer and lean back and relax, trusting that He is taking care of everything.


28. Dear Mother, God’s love for you and His loving care grow sweeter as the days go by! And you grow sweeter, too!


29. Mother, when I think of you I feel warm, secure, blessed, happy and loved. How did you accomplish that?


30. I’ve always admired your character and good qualities, Mother. I realize that because of yours, I now have some, too. Thank you for being my example and for helping me to develop many of your good qualities.


31. Thank you, dear Mother, for the many times when you helped me to keep going when I didn’t feel like it. You probably don’t remember them, but I do, and they have meant a great deal to me. Thank you.


32. Dear Mother, Your love has been such a source of joy in my life. You’ve never made me feel like I owe you for your kindness. Your love has been generous, given freely and without expecting me to do something in return. A love like that lights up my sky!


33. Dear Mother, You patiently and lovingly gave me the attention I needed. You were His care for me that helped me to understand a little about how God loves me.


34. Dear Mother, You’ve helped to make the world a little better through the family you raised and the kindness and love you’ve shown. Many lives have been blessed because of you.


35. Dear Mother, What you have to offer—acceptance, appreciation, kindness, faith, prayer—are some of the most precious gifts anyone could ever want. I should know! You’ve given them to me in abundance!


36. Dear Mother, I’ve heard it said that too much of a good thing isn’t good for us, but I don’t think more of you could ever do anyone harm. More of you, Mother, means more good things!


37. Dear Mother, Maybe there have been times when you felt your life was just a common existence. But when I look back, I can see what a testimony it was! Your steadfastness, uncompromising faith, loyalty to Jesus and our family, your integrity and sincerity, your dependability, and so much more, was, and is, a great accomplishment!


38. Dear Mother, You’re highly valued for who you are. Don’t ever let the Devil tell you you’re just being tolerated. Those of us who know you and your precious heart will long cherish your worth and your value and your contributions to the world.


39. Dear Mother, When I want to remind myself of how much God loves me, one of the things I think of is you.


40. Dear Mother, Sometimes a person just needs a mother—a mother who can make them smile when they're sad, tell them that they’re beautiful. Someone who looks forward to their voice on the phone. Someone who says “I love you” and means it from their deepest heart. That’s the kind of mother you’ve been for me so many times. Thank you.


41. Dear Mother, Someone said, “Find arms that will hold you at your weakest, eyes that will see you at your ugliest, and a heart that will love you at your worst. Then you have found true love.” You’ve been true love for me, Mother.


42. Dear Mother, It's nice to have special people in your life who can make you smile even when they're not around. Thank you for being one of those for me!


43. Dear Mother, I’m too stubborn to stop telling you how much I love and appreciate you!—So you’re stuck with me!


44. Dear Mother, Someone said, “No pillow is so soft as God’s promise.” You have guided me to so many soft pillows, for which I’m very thankful. You, and His promises, have made my life more beautiful than I could have ever imagined.


(Note: During the Christmas season I tried to increase the number of messages as a little extra gift from me.)


45. Dear Mother, How meaningful Christmas must be for you because you’ve lived for the Christ of Christmas all your years. I’m so proud of you.


46. Dear Mother, As this Christmas comes around I want to thank you once again for being you. You continue to be a wonderful Christmas gift to me from Jesus. I love you!


47. Dear Mother, This Christmas I pray that your dreams will come true. Your love and care all these years have been a dream come true for me. I love you!


48. Dear Mother, When you wake on Christmas day I hope you remember how much your love and kindness has meant to the many lives you’ve touched throughout the years, including mine! You’ve given so many Christmas gifts all year round. I love you!


49. Dear Mother, I love you!—At Christmastime and always!


50. Dear Mother, During this Christmas season, may our wonderful Jesus fill your life with renewed peace and joy and many more blessings. And even better, may He continue to do the same throughout the entire new year. I love you!


51. Dear Mother, Christmas is many things—the greatest among them being the love of God for all mankind, and the beauty of His mercy!—And for me, it’s also the joy of knowing you and seeing Him in you. I love you!


52. Dear Mother, This is a time for Christmas wishes! One of mine for you is that you will feel how much I love and appreciate you!


53. Dear Mother, May the sweetness of God’s love this Christmas season make your heart very glad, just like you’ve made mine. I love you!


54. Dear Mother, Merry Christmas! I know Daddy is thinking of you and is very busy helping Jesus prepare your heavenly mansion in just the way you would like it. Remember how often he used to sing, “I’ve got a mansion just over the hilltop; in that bright land where we’ll never grow old...”? Before, he just saw it by faith, but now it’s actually been presented to him, and he’s thrilled and can’t wait for you to see it too! I’m excited for both of you. I’m thinking of you, and praying for you, and loving you!


55. Dear Mother, I hope you get to enjoy lots of yummy Christmas treats. You’re one of the sweetest treats in my life. I love you!


56. Dear Mother, I’m sending you much, much love and big, warm hugs at this Christmastime—and every time after. I love you!


57. Dear Mother, I have wonderful memories of Christmas with you and Daddy. Thank you for making Christmas so beautiful and meaningful for us. I’m praying that this one will be a wonderful one for you. I love you!


58. Dear Mother, I’m blowing you Christmas kisses and hugs, and sending prayers for a wonderful Christmas all year through. I love you!


59. Dear Mother, As we enter another year, isn’t it great to know that our dear Heavenly Father has prepared blessings of care and protection, and blessings of love and peace for each one of us? One of those blessings is the precious bond in spirit that we have even if we’re not physically in the same place.


60. Dear Mother, God remembers all the good you’ve done throughout your life: all the loving words, the unselfish giving, the acts of kindness, the prayers prayed. These are all being stored up in the next life and someday you’ll reap the wonderful rewards God has waiting just for you. You’re going to be so overwhelmed with joy; I wish I could see it!


61. Dear Mother, Do you remember when I told you that you just need to snuggle up with Jesus and rest in His arms? It’s wonderful if you can accept this autumn season of life for the blessing God means for it to be for you—a time to relax, to rest and enjoy. Now you have more time for some of the better things in life—prayer, contemplation, and resting in God’s loving arms.


62. Dear Mother, As we enter another year, we can take great joy in the fact that Jesus is always our intercessor, our strength, our friend, our protector and supplier of everything.


63. Dear Mother, Isn’t it wonderful to know that, even though your body may weigh you down, you can still experience a life filled with joy, peace, and faith? All those years of closeness to Him have enhanced the fruits of God’s Spirit in your life.


64. Dear Mother, I know that you and Jesus together can handle anything that life brings your way this year! I so admire you for your good example of peace and faith.


65. Dear Mother, As we enter a new year, we have nothing to fear, because the Lord is by our side and He will take care of us and our family with each day that passes.


66. Dear Mother, I pray that God’s Spirit will be with you in a special way throughout each day of the year ahead. I pray that He will care for you like He always has—with tenderness and love.


67. Dear Mother, We both know that God’s good promises have never failed you in the past and that they will continue to be your strong support today and in the days ahead.


68. Dear Mother, God’s love is wonderful enough, great enough, deep enough, and all-encompassing enough that it has resulted in making you my sweeter and sweeter mother as the years go by.


69. Dear Mother, I so want you to be able to luxuriate in the simple pleasures of life. I want you to be able to relish the idea of not having to rush to do things, or cram so many things into your schedule. I want you to be able to enjoy the fact that you can savor each moment.


70. Dear Mother, Another year means another opportunity for us to build more happy memories.—Memories of friends loved, of family appreciated, of kindnesses passed on. A legacy of love is our best legacy of all.


copyright@tfidirector'scorner

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith