Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Phoebe’s Ripple Effect

MARCH 22, 2013
Link
Note from gnb admin: This article was written prior to Phoebe's passing. As we were preparing to post it, we received a note from Mary, Phoebe’s mother, informing us that Phoebe passed peacefully onto her heavenly reward on the morning of March 20. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and loved ones.

Her name is Phoebe Joy Wilding.

I met her in 2009 when she and her family moved from Thailand to Indonesia.

In 2011, she decided to serve God in Mexico.

In 2012, she was diagnosed with leukemia and the doctors said she only had a few months to live.

Phoebe 2012

Month after month she dealt with operations, chemotherapy, and was bombarded with medication. She has endured so much pain, not just physically but mentally. During these hard times, she kept her faith and continued to trust in God, acknowledging that He is in control.

In the last quarter of 2012 the leukemia was in remission and she was able to visit family and friends in Jakarta, Indonesia, for Christmas and New Year's.

In January she flew back to the US for a checkup and the doctors told her that the leukemia was back and active again. They strongly suggested surgery and more chemo that might extend her life a few more years. After much thought and prayer, Phoebe decided not to have further treatment, but to instead enjoy the time she had left with family and loved ones, as she explained in her blog post here.

Her way of facing life and leukemia has had an impact on me and many others. She has planted seeds of faith in God, encouragement, love, joy, and happiness in many lives. When Phoebe was asked what she would like to be remembered for, or what impact she hopes to leave behind, she said:

I was never one to dream big dreams, to desire success and great accomplishments. It may sound simple but I really only wanted two basic things. One is that I want to make a difference in a person’s life. I’d want someone to say that I had an impact on their life, that because of me, they are better, their life is better. I’d want someone to say that because of my influence, they had the strength to make it through a very difficult part of their life… nothing to gain for me personally other than the simple satisfaction and joy of making them happy and making a difference in their life.

The second thing would be to in some way help people look deeper into the lives of the people they know, to look past the failings, the quirks and to see the real potential that each person has... I guess the simplest way to put it would be, my hope and dream would be, that people will accept each other more, really get to know people, look deeper and be willing to look past the failings and see the real heart of the person underneath. (Read her full blog post.)

Phoebe has made an impact on many lives. Those of us who know her would like to share how our lives have been touched and changed by this wonderful girl.

Phoebe has taught me to never give up when facing difficulties, problems, hardships, and sickness. I’m amazed at the way she looks at things so bravely and positively. How wonderful God is to have created this beautiful person. She is a true witness of the love of Jesus, because I can see and feel Him in her. She is someone that I will look up to and remember for the rest of my life. Dear Phoebe, I love you dearly.

Phoebe 2013

Nicholas: Fibz has inspired me with her optimism, as stated in her own words: “I didn’t get everything I wanted. A lot of things, in fact most things, didn’t go the way I hoped and thought they would. But my life has still been quite awesome.” Nobody gets everything they want, but being able to say “my life is awesome” is a definite sign of strength. I’m looking at my life right now, and yeah… it’s awesome. Thank you, Fibz!

Esther (of John): Phoebe’s situation has taught me to be a fighter. She is truly an amazing girl whose love for Jesus is what has kept her and brought her to where she is now—a living miracle, a fighter, and a brave soldier. My prayer is that I can be like her; positive and strong in faith when adversity comes.

Adam and Mary (Phoebe’s parents): Phoebe has always been a ray of sunshine in our lives since the day she was born. Today she is the beautiful, spiritually mature daughter that most Christian parents probably hope and pray their daughters will become, and much more. Phoebe's gentleness, sweetness and love, her peace and faith as she draws nearer to joining Jesus for her heavenly reward, is a powerful witness to all, including us, as her parents. It touches our hearts in the deepest and most sensitive areas, warming and encouraging us. It strengthens our faith, and through it we are learning to love more deeply, care more passionately about others, and live our lives in an even more meaningful way. Her rays of sunshine bring the warmth of Jesus’ love deep into our hearts and spirits. We love her!

Andre: I remember when Phoebe wanted to move to Mexico, she was looking for a suitcase. I had a big one which I hadn’t used for a few years, so I offered it to her. She was so happy and grateful for it. One of my friends gave her some Indonesian food to bring to Mexico. She was even more grateful and excited upon receiving it. I was touched by her gratitude and thankful attitude for even the simple and small things. It makes me admire her!

Abi: Fifi (aka Phoebe) left an impression on me from the first time we met. I was a newcomer, didn’t really know anyone, felt awkward and out of place; that “eww” feeling you get when you’re completely foreign to everything and everyone around you. Then this sweet, quiet, and lovable teenage girl approached me and introduced herself. She asked me if I wanted to be shown around the place. She introduced me to her friends and family, showed me the ropes, and eventually made me feel at home. Time went by, and whenever things would get tough, she was always there for me, always had something profound to say or some way of looking at things that gave me a different perspective. We became best friends and had so many awesome times together. I was not into her taking off to go live in Mexico, but I was happy for her. We remained great friends and would chat often, but it’s never the same when there’s distance. Somehow we managed to stay awesome besties.

Phoebe 2013

I was shocked, or rather in utter astonishment and unbelief, when I heard she had leukemia. I mean, since when do people you know get cancer? You read about it and hear all these stories, but you never, ever imagine that it would happen to one of your friends. I wish I had the power to make her better. I have prayed like crazy for her. While she’s still not better, she’s made it through so much. Fifi is a living miracle. I don’t know how she does it, but she’s still around. The doctors are in awe. Everyone around her, the people who know her, are all amazed and touched by her fighting spirit. I believe she’s changed many people’s lives, and I believe God has a great purpose and plan for all of this, even though we don’t understand it, even if we can’t see a reason that is good enough.

Over Christmas she came back to Indonesia to visit us all, and we had many crazy awesome times together, scary times too, because she’s so weak and fragile and we would get so caught up in the moment we’d forget how sick Fifi really was. But she’d make it through each time, what a rock star! I admire the decision that she’s made to not continue with medication but just to live out the rest of her life with family and friends nearby, in a place where she can relax and not have to deal with needles or doctors or hospitals. Maybe we would like for her to fight for her life, do more chemo, or be put on more medication. Yes, it would be great if we could have Fifi around for the rest of our lives. But Fifi is doing what her heart has told her to do. She’s following what she feels is right for her, not what everyone else thinks is best. I think she’s so brave for doing that. It must be so scary, but she doesn’t let that bring her down. She’s still so happy and positive and sweet and concerned for others. How freakin’ unselfish and noble is that? She’s a legend, and one that nobody who has known her or come across her in one way or another is going to forget. She’s made a huge impact on my life, and truly is a role model in my books. I can only hope that one day I too can live up to that level of awesomeness.



Many people, when faced with difficult situations, question God. They tend to doubt and lose faith, and in some cases blame God and become bitter. But Phoebe hasn’t. I am unable to fully understand the excruciating pain she has felt, how leukemia has affected her and how much she struggles every single day, because honestly she hardly ever shows it. I’m reminded of that quote, “Don’t tell God how big your problems are, but tell your problems how big your God is.” Phoebe is smiling and telling her problem how big her God is.

I hope her life will bring some inspiration, encouragement, stronger faith, and have a positive impact in the lives of you who read this.

Phoebe with her friends in 2012



Update from Mary, March 20th

With this note we want to let you know of our wonderful Phoebe’s passing early this morning to be forever with Jesus. We wholeheartedly, although through our tears, are so thankful she left us in a peaceful way, with loved ones holding her near, to now be happy and free in Heaven forever. As someone said, she has taken the greatest journey any of us will ever embark on, with Jesus the most perfect and trusted chaperone possible. It’s the beginning of a perfect life in perfect places and we look on, almost with a bit of envy, but mostly rejoicing for the unlimited joy she is experiencing.

We want to share with you a marvelously anointed song, given as a special gift from a dear friend, Jerry Paladino. As hard as it is for us to let her go, as the song expresses, we know she’s now healthy, happy and full of the joy of His presence. We love and appreciate you all dearly!

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith