Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength!

 

Dennis Edwards

“The joy of the Lord is your strength, Dennis. You’ve got to fight for joy.” So said my friend who asked me to call her when she noticed how down and discouraged I was after the death of my 45 year old son. I was suffering condemnation. I was under a cloud of darkness; a despondent depression was starting to grip me. I knew I shouldn’t feel condemned for my son’s death. Yet, I also knew his death might have been avoided had I been more a tune to his psychological condition. I never thought he would commit suicide. But he did, and it rocked the world of my family.

The attacks on me were constant and unrelenting from both flesh and spirit. It was your fault, the fault of the religious community you had been involved in, the fault of your poor parenting. You tried to save the world and weren’t even attentive to the condition of your own son. What kind of father are you? What kind of a Christian are you? Where are your priorities? It’s finally time to wake up and forsake that religious nonsense. 

I knew those accusations weren’t true completely. But even lies have some truth to them or they would not be so easily believed. I knew I had missed the mark. I knew I hadn’t made that phone call that might have made a difference in my son’s final decision. I myself had avoided suicide because, as I prepared to drive my car off the bridge into the river below, I saw the face of my favourite aunt, Aunt Ida. She loved me. Therefore, if love existed, and I had felt it in Ida’s arms that summer as a confused disheartened 20 years old; if love existed, life must have purpose. I decided to continue my search for truth. If love existed, there must be something more. Ending my life by my own hand to stop the suffering I was experiencing at that time was not the solution. Ida’s holding me in her arms, reminded me that love was real. Had I called Mike, maybe he would have not made that decision.

Those were the thoughts running through my head constantly. Why, God, why? Why Mike? He said he was searching for You and reaching out to You. Why didn’t You keep him, Lord? How could You let this happen? Why didn’t You let me know he was at that state? Lord, a second, son, lost. What have I done wrong? Why have I failed so miserably?

That was the state I was in when my friend asked me to call her. So, I called. “Dennis, it’s not your fault. It’s the enemy who is trying to condemn you and cause you to be discouraged. But you need to fight for your faith. You need to fight for joy, because the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

When she said that about “joy,” it rang with my soul. It was like God was talking to me. I needed to fight for my faith by fighting for joy, because the joy of the Lord is what strengthen us. Without His joy I would be weakened and fall by the wayside of faith, like I had seen so many others do. When hard situations arose, they had lost their faith. They weren’t able to say with Job, “Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.” I decided to fight for joy. Instead of walking around in discouragement, I would praise the Lord in spite of my not feeling happy. I would trust and praise the Lord.

What would others think if they saw me happy? Hadn’t my son died? Shouldn’t I be in mourning? Wouldn’t it be offensive to my family and disrespectful to my son that died if I walked around happy? I decided it didn’t matter what they thought. The enemy was fighting my faith and trying to extinguish it. I would fight back with praise and regain the joy of the Lord. I would not be passive.

Thirteen years before I had benefitted from doing Becky Harling’s 30 Days of Praise Challenge. Martin, my 27 years old son had died in a strange accident in the Bermudas where he had gone to work. It was Saint Patrick’s Day. He had celebrated with a few beers with his friends that led to some joints of hashish. For some reason he went down to the dock and jumped in the water. He left his clothes on the beach. The police asked me if it could be suicide. I didn’t think so. He had been preparing for a triathlon athletic event of running – biking – swimming. Maybe he went for a practice. Could it have been suicide?

At that point, once I got back to Europe, I came across Becky Harling’s 30 Day Praise Challenge. She had been diagnosed with cancer of the breasts. She called her friend and mentor asking her if she would do a 30 fast and prayer vigil with her for healing. Her mentor and friend responded, “Why don’t we do a 30-Day Praise Prayer Vigil together instead?” “I’ve just been notified that I have cancer and you want me to praise God for 30 days. I don’t feel like praising right now.” Her mentor responded, “But it might be the very thing God wants you to do. He says, “In everything give thanks.” Becky told her friend she would think about it and within a few days they were off on the 30-Day Praise Challenge together.

Becky has since written a book about the experience and made it into a 30-Day devotional program to follow. A 30-Day Praise Challenge. I had done the challenge when my son Martin had died those 13 years ago. A friend had put the 66 songs she had recommended on my new phone so that I was able to listen to it throughout the day and have those lovely praise song running through my mind. They did wonders to me, even more than the devotional readings and suggested prayers. By listening to the praise music, I fought through the discouragement I was feeling as a failure father. The songs of praise transformed my life and helped me to be more praiseful and thankful. I consider obeying the command “In everything give thanks” to be one of the keys to my being able to walk in victory today. I am thankful for my friend who bought an extra chip for my phone, downloaded the songs onto it, and placed it in it for me. Becky was thankful for her friend, also, and to Jesus who healed her supernaturally through praise.

God has done it again. I have redone the 30-Day Praise Challenge. I shared the individual devotional readings and suggested prayers and the 2/3 songs a day on a WhatApp group that I participate in. During that month of redoing the Praise Challenge, and posting the songs on my blogspot, I had some 24,000 visits. I usually have around 3-5,000 visits a month. There seems to be a vacuum for praise, or a need to hear those types of songs. “Let everything that has breathe praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.” [Psalm 150:6] I have also made a good friend of a woman who lost her two daughters in a car crash many years ago. God does work everything together for good, if we trust Him and are able to praise Him in spite of the seeming difficult situation.

The joy of the Lord is indeed our strength. God commands us not to be dismayed or discouraged. The enemy is in the business of discouraging us. Joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Joy is God’s presence with us. His presence, His joy, gives us strength to face life’s difficulties with courage and resilience. We can bounce back from devastating events because we are trusting in Him. We are believing that He ultimately has everything in control and therefore we can in everything give thanks. By giving thanks, we enter into the joy of the Lord and are strengthened spiritually, physically, emotionally, psychologically. “Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” [Nehemiah 10:8b]

Here are some more Bible verses to reflect on the importance of joy, praise, and thanksgiving.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” NIV

Psalm 103:1-4 “Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name. Praise the LORD. My soul, and forget not all His benefits – who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.” NIV

 Colossians 2:6.7 “As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving,” NKJV

Isaiah 12:4-5 “And on that day you will say, “Give thanks to the LORD, call on His name. Make known His deeds among the people: make them remember that His name is exalted. “Praise the Lord in song, for He has done glorious things; let this be known throughout the earth.” NASB

1 Chronicles 16:34 “Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His steadfast love endures forever!” ESV

Hebrews 12:28 “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our ‘God is a consuming fire.’”

Psalm 95:1-4 “Oh come, let us sing to the LORD! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms. For the LORD is the great God, and the great King above all gods.” NKJV

Philippians 4:4-7 “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” NIV

Psalm 118:24 “This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” ESV

Colossians 3:15-17 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” NIV

 Ephesians 5:18-20 “Be not drunk with wine, but be filled with Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your hearts to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father. NASB

 Hebrews 13:15 “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.” KJV

Psalm 5:11 NKJV “But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You. Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; Let those also who love Your name be joyful in You.” NKJV.

 Psalm 32:11 “Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.” NKJV

 James 1:2-3 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” NIV

 Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” NIV

 Zephaniah 3:17 “The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.” KJV

John 15:11 & 16:24 “These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.” “Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, so that your joy may be full.” NKJV

Romans 12:12 “Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.” NIV

 Habakkuk 3:17-18 “Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.” KJV

 Proverb 15:23 & 17:22 “A man has joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it.” “A merry heart does good like a medicine: but a broken spirit dries the bones.” KJV

 Isaiah 61:10 “I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my souls shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.” KJV

 1 Peter 1:8-9 “Whom having not seen, ye love, in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.” KJV

Psalm 9:2 “I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.” KJV

Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” KJV

Psalm 16:11 “Thou will show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” KJV

Psalm 144:14b-15 “…that there be no complaining in our streets. Happy is that people, that is in such a case; yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.” KJV

Psalm 145:2 “Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.” KJV

Psalm 146:1-2 “Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.” KJV

Psalm 147:1 “Praise ye the Lord: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely (appropriate).” KJV

Psalm 149:5-6 “Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword [Hebrews 4:12] in their hand.” KJV

Psalm 30:4-5,11-12 “Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. For his anger endures but for a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. Thou has turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou has put off sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; to the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. KJV

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith