Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spiritual Explorers with Adventurous Hearts


A compilation

Download Audio (9.2MB)

I’ve just recently read “Mud, Sweat and Tears,” an autobiography by adventurer Bear Grylls. In case you’re not familiar with Grylls, he’s the star of TV’s “Man vs. Wild.” During each show, Grylls is dropped in some of the toughest terrains on earth and then has to find his way back to civilization. Highlights so far have included him sleeping inside the hollowed-out carcass of a dead camel, paddling a tiny self-made raft through shark-infested seas, and wrestling a wild boar to the ground.

But the book’s account of his life story is even more intense than the TV show. We read of his grueling SAS training (the daring special forces unit for the UK army) and breaking his back parachuting during a mission. Remarkably, after his recovery from this devastating event, he set his mind on a new goal and successfully became the youngest Briton to climb Mount Everest. Incidentally, there are some nice insights into his faith in Christ running throughout the book, too.

I might actually be the complete opposite of Bear Grylls. Any thought I ever had of parachuting, building a raft, or climbing a mountain has been quickly tidied away into my brain’s “unnecessary risks” file. As I read this book there honestly wasn’t even a tiny part of me that wanted to get involved with these same kinds of pursuits. To put it bluntly, when it comes down to sheer personality and my outlook toward life, I’m no adventurer.

But here’s the thing: When it comes to a life of following Jesus Christ, spiritually speaking, we must all become adventurers. The Holy Spirit of God may not send you to climb Everest, but he is indeed a sending Spirit, and, one way or another, he will lead you into a life of adventure. The Kingdom existence is not lived at a standstill or walked on smooth and level paths. It is a journey of excitement, exploration, faith, risk, and trust. Our personality types may not be of the bungee-jumping, free-falling variety, and a life of physical adventure and risk-taking is not for everyone. But when it comes to our service in the Kingdom of God and our life in the Spirit, we must all become adventurers. As we follow his heart and his voice in this world, we will be led to climb higher, dive deeper, and venture further into his plans and purposes.

When I look back over the last decade of my life, I’m encouraged to see a little something of this dynamic at work. My wife and I have moved house and location several times over these last 10 years to help plant new churches. The last chapter included two years in Atlanta for the beginnings of Passion City Church. Now we’re back in the UK at St. Peter’s Brighton, a new congregation planted in the most un-churched city in the UK. It’s not been a simple ride; moving is complicated—especially internationally and especially when you have five children!

No, it’s not always been easy. But it has also never been boring. Worshipping the God of all comfort does not mean we will live a comfortable life. But you can beteverything you have that it will be a fulfilled one.

The reason I share these details is simple: This life of moving around and jumping into these new church start-ups is so very far away from where my natural personality and temperament would have led me. I probably would have been content to sit at home and settle in just one location for this past decade. But something else has come into play—a factor which far outweighs my personality type or our location preferences. It is the Holy Spirit of God, stirring us up and sending us out. For our family it has meant several geographical relocations. For you it might mean obediently never moving away from the town you were born in, but living passionately, boldly, and daringly in one place. Whatever the case, it will be a life of surprises and never one of stagnation or tedium.

We must all become spiritual explorers and adventurous hearts inspired and empowered by Jesus and ready to follow wherever he leads.—Matt Redman1

*

Growth demands a temporary surrender of security. It may mean a giving up of familiar but limiting patterns, safe but unrewarding work … “Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.”2 The real fear should be of the opposite course.—Gail Sheehy

*

In actual life every great enterprise begins with and takes its first forward step in faith.—Friedrich von Schlegel

*

When my daughter Julie invited me to go kayaking with her around the Channel Islands harbor, I thought it would be a leisurely afternoon. As soon as I crawled off of the dock into the kayak for the first time, however, I realized I might have been a bit optimistic. Bobbing on top of the water, the little craft felt horribly unstable.

The slightest shift of weight caused it to start rolling, threatening to dump me into the cold waters of the harbor. When I adjusted my weight to compensate, I overcorrected and the boat would begin to roll in the opposite direction. As I shifted and reshifted multiple times in a few seconds, my kayak quivered like a bowl of Jello in a California earthquake.

I honestly wondered if this had been such a good idea. If I was having so much trouble in the calm waters by the dock, how would I ever fare in the chop of the open water? Julie was already rowing around the dock. I only had a few seconds to choose whether or not to let go and sort it out in the going or stay holding on to the dock, looking like a wimp and missing out on the last special father-daughter day I would have with Julie before she got married.

Uncertain though I was about my ability to stay dry, I pushed away from the dock and learned how to stabilize the kayak and guide it into the open water. It took a while. Every move in the boat felt awkward until I got used to it. Even reaching for the paddle sent my kayak quivering again. I never regretted it, though. Eventually I learned how to row the kayak and we had a joyful afternoon cruising the harbor together—racing, splashing, laughing and enjoying the sights and the conversation.

I’ve thought about that day many times since because it mirrored so much of my life over the last decade. For so long I’ve sought a relationship with Jesus that fulfilled the promise and example of Scripture. Though I’d had tastes of it from time to time, the reality always seemed to fade away just as I got closer. I didn’t realize it at the time, but looking back, I know I was holding on to the dock. Afraid to follow his invitation to the open water, I clung to that which gave me temporary stability and security.

I had no idea that serving my desire for security and trying to follow Jesus were at odds with each other. No wonder my faith seemed so temporary and fruitless. Life in him can’t be lived holding on to the dock because of our insecurities. At some point we have to push away, and only then can we learn how to live this incredible life in Jesus.—Wayne Jacobsen

*

O’er uncharted sea
To their hearts’ desire
Do men of faith set sail,
While the beaten men
Walk with fearful hearts
Along life’s beaten trail.

The men of faith will challenge
Both men and Satan’s wrath,
But the beaten men will compromise
And walk the beaten path.

Beaten roads are for beaten men,
As they walk with measured tread;
With tuneless souls they move along
To dwell among the dead.

But men of faith climb unscaled walls,
And sail uncharted sea.
They dare to cross convention’s bounds
To set the captives free.
—Thomas Wyatt

*

The rugged climb doesn't dissuade the determined mountain climber; he revels in the challenge. Nothing can stop him from pressing on until he reaches his goal. No adversity can cause him to turn back. When he looks at the steep cliffs ahead, he doesn't focus on the danger but on the toeholds and narrow rock ledges that will take him to the peak. He isn't held back by the harshness of his surroundings or the toll the climb is taking on his body; he is propelled onward and upward by the thought of triumph.

There are many obstacles to surmount in life, but each one you conquer is another one behind you. When the going gets tough, lean on Me. Let Me lead the way and guide you up the rugged cliffs. I know all the danger spots and how to get past them. Together we will surmount each obstacle, together we will reach the summit, and together we will plant the flag of victory!—Jesus, speaking in prophecy3

Published on Anchor October 2012. Read by Bethany Kelly.
Music by Daniel Sozzi.


1 http://pastors.com/we-must-become-spiritual-explorers-with-adventurous-hearts/

2 Dostoevsky.

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith