Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Sought by the FBI: God's Plan and Way of Escape! - Chapter 7

 

Sought by the FBI: God's Plan and Way of Escape!

After graduating from Marietta College, I began working as a teacher at Friendship School in Marietta, Ohio. I had a class of twelve slightly physically and or mentally handicapped children from ages seven to thirteen plus one autistic boy. I had requested that this job be counted as my alternative service, if I had been granted conscientious objector status. But my request was denied. However, even knowing of my problem with the military, the director of the school had hired me as I had worked as a volunteer for two years doing fifteen hours a week as teacher assistant. I had even cut down on some of my studies to make volunteering possible. But on Monday, November 9th, I had not showed up for work. Neither had I phoned in which was unusual for me, as I was generally conscientious. What had happened?

Back at Ellenville, I had no access to a land phone and was unable to go into town because of my classes and work responsibilities. There were no mobile phones at that time. I was actually learning so much in the lectures and Bible studies that was satisfying my soul that I was overjoyed spiritually. Finally, I got a letter off to my parents which they received eleven days after I had gone “missing.” In the meantime, when my parents learned I had not showed up for work nor had phoned, they filed a missing person’s report with the police in Ohio. Little did I know the heartache I was causing to my whole family: parents, grand-parents, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles, friends . . . everyone! The college paper published an article saying I had gone missing. Another article came out in the local paper about the young graduate, now teacher, gone missing. My parents even traveled from New Jersey out to Ohio to search for me. They feared I had had a serious car accident and may have been injured and in need of help. They traveled the same route I had taken, stopping at every roadside ditch in search for a sign of me or my brother’s car which I had been driving. My sister and brother-in-law called every police department and hospital along the route from Marietta to Columbus, Ohio, desperately seeking for me.

While I was getting “turned on” to Jesus, they were sleep-deprived with worry, asking God for my safe return. It was a horrible time for them. I need to acknowledge here the pain my actions caused them. I am sorry I caused them so much pain. It was an intensely emotional time for me. I was in dire straits and was thinking more about myself than anyone else! It was a time of tough decisions. I had decided to stand up to the American military and say ‘no’ to war. The FBI was after me! Would I serve time in jail, or be forced to join the military?

I felt like a drowning man going down for the third time. I needed to save myself first before I could be of any use or help to others. But God had answered my prayer, and as I began to study His Word the emotional turmoil I had been encountering began to subside. I was lost in His love and it was wonderful! But it had not been wonderful for my friends and family.

Maybe that is why we will need eternity in Heaven to work out all these heart-aches we have caused one another through our lack of love. They do take time to mend and heal. We will be doing a lot of apologizing and forgiving and being forgiven. God says, 

I will wipe away all your tears,[1]

so obviously there will be tears in Heaven as we acknowledge our wrong-doing, and try to make things right! I am sorry, family, for how I hurt you. Please find a way to forgive me.
Looking back on these circumstances and all that happened, I can see it was God's plan to save me from the FBI, who may have been totally confused by these events. I could not have invented a better plan had I tried. But God manufactured His own way of escape for me, to enable me to spend time in His Word learning of Him and His will for my life. As He says in His Word,

God is faithful who will not suffer you to be tempted above that you are able, but will with the temptation make a way to escape that you may be able to bear it![2]

Notes:

[1] Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

To go to the previous chapter click HERE
To go to the next chapter click HERE

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith