Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

The Test and the Reward - Chapter 8

 

The Test and the Reward

When my family finally received word from me by post, my parents came to see me at the training center. The conditions at the center were very basic. It was not an officially recognized institution, but rather more of a Christian community and run as a training center for disciples. Some of the Jesus People movement from California had started it. I remember sleeping on the floor at night in a thinly-walled cabin. But I was learning to be a disciple for Jesus. Whatever physical sacrifice I had to make was hardly important.

My parents wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing. They were quite reluctant to let me stay at the center. If I wanted to serve God, why could I not become a Priest or find some other way? But seeing I was twenty-two years of age at the time, and they could not convince me otherwise, they left, hoping it was a passing phase.

My father later told me something when he was near to the end of his life. He had found Jesus through some woman he had met at the day center he frequented. He said, “Dennis, you found Jesus when you were young and dedicated your whole life to Him, which I could never understand. I lived almost my whole life without that personal relationship with Jesus. I do not know how I did it, but now that I have found Jesus, I understand your decision and life choices.” 

A few days after my parent’s visit, a close friend from childhood named Chris came for an afternoon. He was going to bring me home “one way or the other.” That’s what he told me when we went for a ride in his car. But seeing the conviction and happiness I had and that I was staying at the training center under my free will, he also left, though somewhat disappointed.

Finally, some of my college friends and my brother came from Ohio to convince me I was making a bad decision and bring me to my senses. But again, it was fruitless. My will was sure and I could not be moved. I must apologize here to my brother for the way he found his car. All his music tapes were missing. The tires of his car were flat and no compensation was given, though he did recover some money from my bank account back in Marietta. With close to 200 young people, many coming off drugs and out of hippy lifestyles, not everyone was as “Christian” as they should have been.
I remember thinking during my first days at the training center that maybe it was all a communist plot to subvert American young people against the war using the Bible. But the Word of God I was learning in the classes could not be refuted. The Word had become a light unto my path and a lamp upon my feet.[1] I was building my foundation of faith based on God’s Word, and it was refreshing. It was like taking a bath and getting cleansed from all the filth of my life! I was being born again. But, like in the movie The Matrix,[2] it was not easy. I had to let go of old, false mindsets, and accept new ones. As Jesus said,
If you continue in My Word, then are you My disciples indeed, and you shall know the truth & the truth shall set you free.[3]

Apostle Paul also said,

If any man be in Christ he is a new creature, old things are passed away, behold all things are become new.[4]

I was becoming that new man in Christ. In December, there was a heavy downfall of snow. I was responsible for bringing the food to the director’s office in the evenings. One evening I overheard the directors talking about testing some of the new students to see if they were really there for the right motives. The following morning a group of us were taken on a job to move a broken-down vehicle to a more accessible location on the campus. Besides the snow, it started sleeting, and I remember I did not have adequate winter clothing, as I had never gone back to Marietta to pick up my things, seeing it was so far away.

It was freezing cold and I ended up fainting as we tried to push the vehicle. I, also, had not been eating properly. The group of students carried me back to one of the unused cabins. Someone tried to light a fire in the wood stove to warm us up. However, the chimney was blocked and all the smoke filled the room. Here we were freezing cold, wet, choking from the smoke. But I was happy. My heart was with God and I had found His peace and truth. Love was indeed the answer.
Peace I leave with you,

Jesus said, 

My peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.[5]

I was not worried or afraid anymore. God was real and He was going to take care of me somehow. The time at the Ellenville was like being at a boot camp or in the war together. Instead of having my military boot camp at Fort Dix, I had my spiritual boot camp at the training center in Ellenville. I learned that we are in a spiritual battle and we must use spiritual weapons to defeat the enemy. Like Apostle Paul has said,

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty thorough God to the pulling down of strongholds; casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into capacity every thought to the obedience of Christ.[6] For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.[7]

Great bonds of friendship were formed, some of which, I have until this day. Upon graduating from the three-month course, I sent my certification of ministry training into my draft board. A few months later I was notified that my draft status had been changed and I was no longer 1-A, or immediately available for induction into military service. For some reason, not explained by the draft board, I had been reclassified. God had done the miracle and rewarded my decision to serve Him no matter what. From that moment on, I dedicated my life to the service of bringing souls to the Kingdom of God.
Jesus said, 

Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.[8]

God had answered His promise and delivered me from the hand of man. I in turn had promised Him I would love and serve Him to my dying breath.

Notes:

[1] Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
[3] John 8:31-32

To go to the previous chapter click HERE
To go to the next chapter click HERE

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith