Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

You Hear God's Voice on the Mountain!

 

Dennis Edwards

My wife and I have been a three week holiday to rest, refill, and enjoy God and His creation. We stayed with her sister and we got to minister to my wife’s extended family who live in that beautiful island called Tenerife.

On one of our first days, my sister-in-law, who knows I like walking, organized an outing that would include a beautiful mountain walk. First we enjoyed a light meal at a mountain top café/restaurant. When we finished she pointed and said, “Just follow that path, always downward. Stay on the main path, don’t get off, not to the right nor to the left. Stay on the main path. We will meet you at the end.”

Off they went: my wife, her sister, and her sister’s two and a half year old grandson. Off I went, also, forward along the pavement beside the restaurant. After thirty meters the pavement ran out and I started my descent down a beautiful but sometimes steep mountain path. That particular area of Tenerife has a lush forest due to the regular midst from the sea that drops around three inches of moisture every day. I will include some photos for you to enjoy.

My walk along that mountain path was one of the highlights of my vacation. As I started my descent, I realized that the path was sometimes slippery from moisture. I needed a walking stick to steady my way. “Lord, I need a walking staff.” No sooner had the thought went through my mind and there it was, an old branch not far from the path. I broke off a bit and it proved just right for my needs.

I rejoiced at how the Lord had answered my prayer so quickly, like that verse, “Before You call, I will answer.” I laughed to myself and thanked the Lord. How wonderful and easier it was to make progress now with my new found staff. “Lord, this staff is great, but You know, I could really use another one for my other hand.” And bingo, there it was again, another walking stick just right for what I needed.

My sister-in-law had told me the path was around 1,7 kilometers. I usually walk around 5 kilometers an hour. 1,7 km shouldn’t take me more than half an hour. I was disappointed with the thought of such a short walk. The fact that the path was at times down a difficult stone cut path caused me to take 1 hour and 50 minutes. It may have also been that I stopped at times to take pictures and enjoy the majestic views. (One such view from the mountain path.)

)

During that extended time alone on that mountain path, I had a beautiful time with the Lord. What helped facilitate listening to the Lord was the absolute total silence, a complete silence. Not a sound could be heard in the middle of the forest on that mountain path. Nothing! No cars, no planes, no voices, no construction work, no tractors, no music, no television, no radio, not even the chirping of sparrows or the whistling of the wind. Nothing! It was dead silence.

Occassionly a partidge or pigeon would hear me coming and startled, would suddenly fly off from her nest breaking through the silence. Otherwise, I had entered in the land of total quietness. I could understand why so often God’s men sought refuge and God’s presence in the mountain. Even Jesus arose early before it was yet day to seek God in prayer on a mountain. Moses talked with God on a mountain. Elijah took refuge on a mountain. Jacob dreamed of a ladder descending from Heaven on a mountain. Abraham heard God’s voice clearly on a mountain, “Lay not thine hand upon the lad.”

As I walked, I talked to the Lord and He responded so wonderfully. His voice was so clear in my mind. “Should I take that mission trip to that country? Should I take one also to that country? Should I visit my grandchildren in that other country?” Each time the Lord confirmed with, “Yes.” The Lord gave a green light to all that I asked. In the silence His voice came booming through. I was ecstatic. I entered into praise to His name. His response and the clearness of His voice encouraged my soul. (I was going to Taborno a little further yet.)

“Lord, I’m sorry. I know I need to spend more quality time “listening” to Thy sweet, soft voice. Please forgive me. Renew in me that desire to love you and spend time with you intimately daily.”

(Looking back at the path as it exits from the thick mountain vegetation.)

I had been used to getting the Lord to okay my plans, but not really seeking Him for His plans. Hearing His voice of encouragement so clearly brought to mind the verse from Jeremiah. “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you hope in the latter end.”[Jeremiah 29:11] “Thank you, Lord. That’s what I need, hope as I face or enter into the beginning of old age, hope for the future, that You will supply our needs and take care of us during these seemingly difficult days. Thank you, Lord, for hope.”

(One of the views near the end of the mountain path not far from where my wife was waiting for me.)

After three weeks relaxing, resting, taking ample quiet time of reading, prayer, and listening to the Lord, it was time to head back to our usually ministry. My sister-in-law noted, “You needed two weeks just to slow down and get rid of all the stress you were carrying. Now that you’re finally relaxed and enjoying yourselves, you’ve got to go. Next time you should schedule a month, not three weeks. And remember to rest and enjoy yourselves more regularly and take better care of my sister.”

(The little village where my wife and my siter-in-law waited for me at the end of the mountain path.)

Coming back home, I saw that my workmates seemed more relaxed, rested, and less stress faced on our return. In my absence they had been able to relax. My friend João before I left had said to me, “Dennis, maybe you don’t think you have time to stop and rest, but God is making you take a rest for my sake.”

Please don’t make a god of God’s service. Take the time you need for God, for your loved ones, for your physical and emotional needs, and for those of your family, friends, and workers. The work is important, but the worker, you, your wife, your workmates are more important. We all need time of rest, relaxation in order to strengthen our relationship with the Lord and each other. Put God first by taking the time you need to rest and relax and to let others to do the same.
View towards La Laguna. You can see Teide the highest mountain in Spain in the far distance.

“For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from His. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.”[Hebrews 4:10-11]

One of the natural swimming pools on the north side of the island where we were able to relax. 

The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works. Psalm 145:9

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith