Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Our Savior Understands!


By David Brandt Berg

Download Audio (8.7MB)

O Love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in Thee;
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be!

O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flick’ring torch to Thee;
I give Thee back its borrowed ray,
That in Thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be!
May brighter, fairer be!1

“O Love that Will Not Let Me Go!” I’ve told you the story of that, haven’t I? Didn’t I tell the story of how this man, brother George Matheson, was a young preacher very deeply in love and soon to be married—within six months they were to be married—when suddenly the doctor told him that he was losing his eyesight and that within six months his eyesight would be totally gone; he would be completely blind forever, at least the rest of his life.

He was heartbroken, of course, and he didn’t feel it was fair to his loved one, his lover, his sweetheart, not to tell her and warn her and give her the choice of whether she wanted to go ahead with the marriage or not, if she loved him that much. He felt that if she really loved him, even if he went blind she would still love him and want to live with him and care for him.

So he went to her house that night and they sat on the couch holding hands talking about this and that, and finally he said, “Honey, I’ve come to give you some very, very sad news. And I think it’s only fair to tell you so that you can make your own decision as to whether you want to go ahead with the marriage or not. I’m going blind, and by our wedding date I will be completely blind, according to the doctor.”

He suddenly felt her hand loosen its grasp and her fingers slip slowly out of his, completely out of his hand, as she turned away, and with tears she couldn’t contain. She felt very bad. She knew that it was a terrible thing to do, so she just rose and silently, slowly left the room. And he knew what her answer was. So he walked sadly back to his own home and went to his own study and sat down there and began to write this song about Jesus.

O Love that will not let me go,
I lift my weary heart to Thee;
That in Thine ocean depths its flow
May find the love I here do not know,
And richer, fuller be!
And richer, fuller be!

And that’s how that beautiful, beautiful song came to be written. Sometimes I change the words a little bit; I used to do that often when I was singing. Sometimes because I didn’t like the way the words were written or I thought I could add a little something to change it a little bit, sometimes just because I forgot’m! Hallelujah! That’s a beautiful song, amen?

For if we could see beyond today as God does see,
If all the clouds would roll away, the shadows flee
For present griefs we would not fret,
Each sorrow we would soon forget,
For many joys are waiting yet, for you and me!

If she could have only seen beyond that day to what joy there could have been in real love, she would have saved herself and him that heartbreak. But at least it brought him back closer to the Lord.

If we could know beyond today as God doth know,
Why dearest treasures pass away and tears must flow.
And why some darkness leads to light,
Why dreary days will soon grow bright,
Someday life’s wrongs will be made right,
Faith tells us so!

If we could see, if we could know, we often say,
But God in love a veil doth throw across our way.
We cannot see what lies before,
And so we cling to Him the more.
He leads us till this life is o’er,
Just trust and obey!2

Praise the Lord! Hallelujah! That was one of my mother’s favorite songs, and I don’t think I’ve ever been able to sing it without crying, I’m sorry. Praise the Lord! But that’s why...

I have nothing to do with tomorrow,
Its sunlight I never may see!
So today with my plow in my furrow,
In His vineyard I faithful will be!

I have nothing to do with tomorrow,
My Savior has made this His care.
Its strength and its griefs I can’t borrow,
So why should I borrow its care?3

Praise God! Hallelujah! Thank You, Lord! Isn’t that a beautiful old song?

Originally published 1982. Republished on Anchor November 2012.
Sung by David Brandt Berg.4


1 “O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go,” words by George Matheson (1882).

2 “Beyond Today,” words and music by Norman J. Clayton (date unknown).

3 “I Have Nothing to Do with Tomorrow,” by Daniel W. Whittle (1916).

4 David originally sang the songs impromptu, unaccompanied, while filming on video. Light musical accompaniment and vocals were added later, at a separate location.

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith