Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Getting Through Overwhelm



Link   P. Amsterdam

We often talk about the challenge of having so much to do. Yes, we’re all busy, but sometimes we get really, really busy! Being busy is not a problem in itself, because it’s through such activities as our parenting and care for our family, our job, mission work, volunteering, and caring for others that we work to make a difference in the world and find joy, fulfillment, and satisfaction.

However, at times our lives get out of balance and it goes beyond being really, really busy and we become overwhelmed.

As one author so well explained:

“The pace of life has accelerated into an unrelenting and punishing race. Technology has thrown out the ancient rhythms of the spiritual life. The ubiquitous presence of wireless broadband, smart phones, and the mobile revolution has made the hurried life of 20 years ago seem like a stroll in the park. Information overload is high-octane fuel for the toxically busy mind. The expectation that friends and colleagues should have ‘anytime, anywhere’ access to our lives is something new.”1

Overwhelm can come crashing down upon us when too many demands or to-dos are inserted into our already busy lives. This can include such events as an unexpected move, complications at work, a time of poor health, visitors staying at your home, or preparing for some time off or a vacation.

I don’t like the feeling of being overwhelmed. It is counterproductive and it can bring with it an array of negative emotions. You can feel stressed or even anxious. You might even feel sad or hopeless, and a bit like you’re slowly sinking in quicksand. There’s a sense that you’re behind in so many areas that it seems you’ll never catch up. Important things are stacking up, you’re dropping balls or missing deadlines, and there’s a feeling of frustration and tension. At that point it seems multitasking is a must, which can add to that sense of being overwhelmed as you fracture your sense of focus and the quiet spaces of your life.

Things can seem to be spiraling out of control, as if you have lost the grip on your schedule, priorities, and personal goals. You can feel like you’re bombardedall day long, and you’re often tempted to vent. Every time you turn around, there seems to be another demand, like in the following story:

Sometimes our problems overwhelm us like they did my friend Joe. Before Joe could get out of the house and head to work, he had four long distance calls. Everyone seemed to have a problem. And they all wanted Joe to get on a plane that day and come help out. He finally told his wife to forget about his breakfast. He rushed out of the house as fast as he could. Then, when he stepped into the garage he discovered his car would not start. So he called a taxi. While he was waiting for the taxi, he got another call about another problem. Finally, the taxi came and Joe rushed out, piled in the back seat, and yelled, “All right, let’s get going.”

“Where do you want me to take you?” the taxi driver asked.

“I don’t care where we go,” Joe shouted. “I’ve got problems everywhere.”2

That’s a funny story, but does it sound familiar?

We can likely all relate to this, but the question is, what can we do about it? When I start to feel overwhelmed, I know I need to make some changes, and the sooner I do so, the better. I’m not an expert on this topic, and what works for me might not work for you, but I want to share a few tips that you can consider, some of which have been lifesavers for me.

To begin with, when you feel overwhelmed for a period of time, it’s important to seek the Lord. Step one, I acknowledge to the Lord, myself, and often Maria that I’m stretched beyond what is healthy, and I ask Maria to pray that the Lord will give me solutions and peace in this situation. I then pray about whether the Lord is using this feeling of being overwhelmed so that I will seek Him and learn to lean on Him more, or whether I need to make some changes. If He shows me that I need to make some adjustments, I take some time with the Lord to see how He’s leading. I find a space of quiet when I just sit or walk, breathe, calm myself, and pray. I ask the Lord for His perspective. I open myself to God’s Spirit. I meditate on the Word. I am quiet. This usually helps the immediate feeling of stress, nervousness, and anxiety to pass, or greatly lessens it.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.3

Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.4

Once I feel more centered with the Lord, I determine to make a few adjustments in my schedule. Such changes often take a temporary toll on my work time, but they’re necessary. Each person is different, and you’d need to find what works for you. For example, I get more sleep. I go to bed earlier for a time; I avoid late nights. Also, I get more exercise, which has a stabilizing, refreshing effect on me, physically and emotionally or mentally.

Also, I find I usually need to let go of some of the items on my to-do list. That means making a conscious decision that I’m not going to do x, y, and z for a period of time, and I’m not going to worry about it or feel bad about it. Sometimes the things I am led to let go of are good things, but they’re not absolute must-dos. And some of what goes are activities that are not essential or that leave me feeling rather dull. Dropping some things from my to-do list and living a simpler, slower life helps to relieve the self-imposed stress and unnecessary deadlines that lead to feeling overwhelmed.

Another key is to think and speak positively and to avoid venting. Negative verbalization tends to enhance the feeling of overwhelm, as you’re confirming to yourself and sometimes to others how bad you feel, how you have way too much to do, you’re overextended, it shouldn’t be like this, and on it goes.

Richard Carlson, the author of the Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff books, wrote:

“I’m not minimizing how hard people work or how difficult and all-consuming work can be. The problem is that bragging about how busy you are reinforces to yourself how stressed out you are. It keeps you overly focused on the most negative aspects of your work. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, keeping you caught up in your own business.”5

It’s much healthier to take a positive approach. Of course, the Lord did not promise us stress-free lives. In fact, when we follow the Lord, many of our burdens are God-ordained, and the stress and our tests and trials often motivate us to draw closer to Him. But we know that “no temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”6

Sometimes the solution to overwhelm is to ask for help. When you reach your limit, you can try to delegate work that you don’t have to do yourself, if possible.

It’s helpful to make a prayer list for all the things in your life and the lives of others that you sense are contributing to that feeling of overwhelm so you can actively and deliberately cast your burdens on the Lord.

Finally, I try to carve out some “me time” and do something that will be purposefully rejuvenating. I take some time in God’s creation, or somehow take a break from my normal surroundings. I try to distance myself physically from the reminders of all I have to do or all I’m behind in, or whatever is the source of my stress.

While practical tips are helpful, we can’t underestimate how important the spiritual aspect is as well. We won’t be able to eliminate all stress from our lives or completely avoid feeling overwhelmed sometimes, but if we’re doing God’s will, He can help us to manage the stress as we depend on Him, cast our cares on Him, and trust Him. It’s important that we keep our relationship with the Lord in first place by taking adequate time with Him in prayer, meditation and reflection, reading His Word, journaling and listening to His still small voice or His instructions to us via prophecy. This is foundational to our happiness and peace of mind.7

[We] have important work to do every week. We also have urgent matters that arise unexpectedly that we need to address. The challenge is not all things are both important and urgent. It requires wisdom and practice to determine what is important or urgent—and what can be safely ignored.

But I believe there’s something deeper we need to do, something both simple and profound. It is the key to being … present when and where the Lord wants you. Do this, and you will have a compass to guide you through busy days, weeks, and months of … work.

The key is to guard your daily devotional time.

We know a healthy quiet time is essential to communion with God and spiritual growth. But we don’t always practice it. As a result, we often find ourselves overwhelmed by hurry, noise, crowds, deadlines, and interruptions. Nothing can lift this burden and simplify our lives like guarding and growing our time with God.8

Jesus had some wise counsel to give on this topic, as told in Luke.

Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” 9

Keeping our lives on an even keel will be an ongoing challenge, that’s for sure. But as we keep the Lord and His Word in first place in our lives, and do what we can practically, we will grow and be blessed.


1 Adapted from Making Spiritual Progress (IVP, 2014) by Allen Ratta. Copyright © 2013 by Allen Ratta. Used by permission.


2 John C. Maxwell, Developing the Leader Within You (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1993).


3 Philippians 4:6 NIV.


4 1 Peter 5:7 NKJV.


5 Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff at Work (New York: Hyperion, 1998).


6 1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV.


7 You may find it helpful to review the series on Spiritual Disciplines as another way to gauge how you’re doing with keeping the Lord in first place.


8 H.B. Charles, Jr., “Interruption or Divine Appointment,” Leadership Journal, April 7, 2015, accessed August 12, 2015, http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2015/winter/interruption-or-divine-appointment.html.


9 Luke 10:38–42 ESV.

0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith