Does your faith need strengthening? Are you confused and wondering if Jesus Christ is really "The Way, the Truth, and the Life?" "Fight for Your Faith" is a blog filled with interesting and thought provoking articles to help you find the answers you are seeking. Jesus said, "Seek and ye shall find." In Jeremiah we read, "Ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall seek for Me with all your heart." These articles and videos will help you in your search for the Truth.

Thursday, December 17, 2020

O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go (George Matheson 1842-1906)


Dennis Edwards

George Matheson was a dedicated Christian youth. He had a girl friend and they were going to be married. But he had a problem with his eyes and finally the doctors analysis was he would go blind. George told his soon to be wife the sad news and she slipped her hands from his and responded, "But George, I can't be married to a blind man." And so the marriage was broken off and George dedicated his life to God and for twenty years he was a sucessful minister even blind. 

How was it possible? His sister decided to dedicate her life to help her brother. She was George's eyes. She learned to read Greek, Hebrew and Latin to help George with his studies. George became a gifted speaker and minister of the Gospel, a Theological Doctor, much sought after. However, after twenty years his sister fell in love with another man and sadly left George to be married. It was at that occasion that George wrote the above poem of rededication to God no matter how difficult the cross may seem. 

George confessed that the poem came to him in a moment and within a few minutes he had the whole written down. He said it was more like someone was dictating it to him. Later the musician who put it to music had a similar experience and received the music in the first moments he put his mind to it. Surely the Holy Spirit was directly the whole affair with the result of a beautiful heartbreaking song of submission and dedication to God.

Words to the song in English

1 O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

2 O Light that follow'st all my way,
I yield my flick'ring torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine's blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

3 O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain
That morn shall tearless be.

4 O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from thee;
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red,
Life that shall endless be.


0 Comments:

Copyright © Fight for Your Faith